Philip Colleck, Ltd., the New York City antique dealer dealing in fine eighteenth and nineteenth century English furniture and works of art, is housed in a pre-Civil War brick townhouse on 58th Street, east of Second Avenue.
New York City records show that the house was built in the early 1850’s by a brick mason for himself and his family. John B. Huse, a Hudson Street printer, occupied the house in 1873. In 1877, it was purchased by Mathias Down, a Prussian-born merchant. In the 1930’s Tennessee Williams lived there as a boarder. And in 1950, Down’s grandson, Herman Weiden, sold the house to Charles Jones, a composer who taught at the Juilliard School and the Mannes College of Music. Mr. Jones lived in the house with his family until his death in June 1997.
The late Federal town house, set back from the street, has an old-fashioned English cast-iron street lamp and a rose covered picket fence in front. There are trees on both sides, and a large garden in back. The house, designated a New York City landmark in 1967, has classical proportions, and its red brick is set off by the white fence and black painted brownstone trim.
The Jacoby’s purchased the house in 2000 and, after some meticulous restoration and renovations to the interior and the garden, moved the 12th street shop into its three floors.
The house and garden are also available for rent for events, receptions and parties, and as a photography location.